avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Gerhard Froehlich" <g-froehl...@gmx.de>
Subject RE: [AvalonDB] some thoughts
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 11:27:39 GMT
Paul,
>Gerhard,
>
>>Maybe first of all, before starting wild coding, we should limitate the
>>functionalities of this DB server.
>>What should he be able to do and what not:
>>Datatypes?
>>Functions?
>>Any other DB objects like triggers,indexes?
>>
>>Maybe we should take, according to Ulrich the SQL92 Standard as core
>>functionality first.
>>
>>But I would keep the other functionalities in mind, you never know.
>>
>I kinda hope that we do it all in the end.
>
>The plan (in defence of "wild coding")....
>
>1) get to the stage where CREATE TABLE, INSERT and SELECT (simple) work
>over JDBC.  This includes the first indexes (see
>http://www.coyotegulch.com/jisp/index.html )
>2) refactor based on what learned (we're not supporting a userbase so
>this is quite easy to do).
>3) Add remaining basic operations (UPDATE DELETE etc).
>4) Add functions, triggers, aggregate concepts.
>5) Work on other forms of persistence, transport (this is phoenix level
>multiple implementation of services).
>
>What thought?
I agree, you're the boss. For me it is always important to have a little
"roadmap" in mind. Know everything is fine :).

>Lastly, Gerhard - your email address is bouncing things back to me
>undelivered ... :-(
F*** GMX. I don't know, sometimes I have problems with my email account. Maybe
I should switch to my yahoo account for contributing over this mailing lists.
But why is it bouncing?? This mails are pure text and no html (I'm using Outlook
2000).

FYI. Meanwhile I'm completing the JDBC Driver with
java.sql.DatabaseMetaData
java.sql.ResultSetMetaData
According to the JDBC specification this interfaces must always be fully
implemented.
http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/driverdevs.html

Cheers
Gerhard