avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject Re: RMI not working under Phoenix properly
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 13:25:07 GMT
At 07:42 PM 10/16/2001 +1000, you wrote:
> > I know Phoenix does some internal magic with proxies, etc. I don't know if
> > that may be part of the problem. Any thoughts/ideas would be greatly
> > appreciated. Thanks!
>
>I have a sneaking suspicion that it is to do with the proxy generation. (At
>least this would make sense if you were exporting one block from another
>block and RMI used reflection to generate messages). I will try to fix it
>tonight so that you can disable this - however some recent changes have gone
>through that may need alterations - so if not today perhaps tomorrow or the
>next day - If I forget remind me ;)

RMI is using reflection, here's a stack trace from the phoenix side when
the call there fails:

         at sun.rmi.server.UnicastServerRef.dispatch(UnicastServerRef.java:241)
         at sun.rmi.transport.Transport.serviceCall(Transport.java:148)
         at
sun.rmi.transport.tcp.TCPTransport.handleMessages(TCPTransport.java:465)

My code to export the object to RMI is simply:

             final Remote stub = RemoteObject.toStub(this);
             Naming.bind(getRmiName(), stub);

That code is in the start() method of the block itself. This block was
offering a service, I removed the service with no affect.

I'm using a CVS version of phoenix from last friday. I'll update and see if
that helps.  Thanks for the assistance :)
-pete

managing partners, inc. -> http://www.managingpartners.com