avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Royal <pro...@managingpartners.com>
Subject phoenix use question with catalina/bay & cocoon
Date Thu, 11 Oct 2001 19:04:17 GMT
I'm not quite sure how to hook together all the phoenix pieces to get it to
do what I want here.

We have an application that is 2 pieces, a piece built with Cocoon that
currently runs in Tomcat 3.x which communicates with the 2nd piece via RMI.
This is slow. I want to bring them into the same JVM (when both pieces are
on the same machine), and I believe phoenix is the tool I need to do that.
I can package up my RMI server as a block no problem, I'm just not sure of
how to make that available to the avalon structure that lives inside the
Cocoon webapp.

I looked at the Bay wrapper for Catalina, but I don't see any easy way to
pass information into webapps. I'm thinking maybe the parent
ComponentManager support that was added to Cocoon might be what I'm looking
for? But it seems to just allow you to define a class to be instantiated.
I'm not quite sure how it can "reach out" into the phoenix world that
contains it.

Any guidance will be appreciated :)
-pete

managing partners, inc. -> http://www.managingpartners.com