avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [AvalonDB] some thoughts
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2001 10:58:24 GMT
Gerhard,

>Maybe first of all, before starting wild coding, we should limitate the
>functionalities of this DB server.
>What should he be able to do and what not:
>Datatypes?
>Functions?
>Any other DB objects like triggers,indexes?
>
>Maybe we should take, according to Ulrich the SQL92 Standard as core
>functionality first.
>
>But I would keep the other functionalities in mind, you never know.

I kinda hope that we do it all in the end.

The plan (in defence of "wild coding")....

1) get to the stage where CREATE TABLE, INSERT and SELECT (simple) work
over JDBC.  This includes the first indexes (see
http://www.coyotegulch.com/jisp/index.html )
2) refactor based on what learned (we're not supporting a userbase so
this is quite easy to do).
3) Add remaining basic operations (UPDATE DELETE etc).
4) Add functions, triggers, aggregate concepts.
5) Work on other forms of persistence, transport (this is phoenix level
multiple implementation of services).

What thought?

Lastly, Gerhard - your email address is bouncing things back to me
undelivered ... :-(

Regards,

- Paul H