avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [AvalonDB] some thoughts
Date Tue, 30 Oct 2001 20:02:06 GMT
Gerhard,

>Hi,
>I took a look at the structure of the AvalonDB and
>have some questions and proposals (I know that the
>structure is in a developing state. So please don't
>feel assaulted!!)

No problem dude.  Say anything you like, I am only motivated by
perfection not (false) pride.

>I attached 2 new Actions and Requests. Alter and Grant.
>Because they are very common SQL Satements for Database
>Administration (please correct me, if I'm wrong!).

I've committed them as is.

>Also I think some interfaces are missing, like Trigger,
>Cursor,Constraint and Key. My first thought was to put them
>in the data package, but I'm not sure.

Yes they are interesting and worthy of thought.

>Further I miss something like functions. The guys from hsqldb
>put them all in one Library class.

Yup that is missing too for the moment.

>What about datatypes? What datatypes do you want to support?

Yup, another area wothy of planning.  Only supported at the moment are
varchar and char.

>I think a very important is a User Management (like instances
>and schemas in oracle). Is this a part of the DatabaseManager?

I think the Oracle design is imperfect.  Users get a default schema (or
vice versa), but rights can be granted to escape that constraint.  I
need to read up on "catalog" that JDBC recognises.  My main SQL
experience is from DB2 where "collection" is the name given the
directory concept that could contain tables etc.  They are all in the
end variations of "path", but I think we should stay close to a JDBC
design and hopefully clean in idea at that.

>Last but not least some questions about the package structure:
>I don't really understand the difference between Action and
>WriterAction? Also I don't really comprehend the existence of
>the transport and the service package, what do they capsulate?
>Can sombody enlighten me a little bit :))

Service is the key Avalon/Phoenix concept.  Different server designs can
be tied togther with XML.  Many implementations of the same thing should
yield a highly configurable server.  Started today were two
implementations of persistence.  One uses Cornerstone's store and
serialization (flawed for a large system).  The other is a "no
persistence" in memory model.  I.e. the server crashes or is stopped and
the data is binned.  Also services can be used by other server
applications *inside* the same JVM.  Take a look at
http://jakarta.apache.org/avalon/phoenix/

Action : I think of a sequence of things that could happen to tables as
part of a transaction or not.  They are strong Java objects that have an
execute() method.  They are the result of parsed and processed SQL and
can be cached for future use.

The Command structure (incomplete like most things) in the transport
package allows multiple designs for transport of request and resulting
replies.  I have a simple (slow) CommandStream at the moment that should
work fine.  In time we can (using Phoenix's pluggable design) retrofit
other transports.  RMI, bytestreams (like hypersonic) and SOAP could be
alternate transport mechanisms.

I think we may end up with jars like so :

  avalon-db-client-rmi.jar
  avalon-db-client-bytestream.jar
  avalon-db-client-cmdstream.jar
  avalon-db-client-soap.jar

Anyway, welcome aboard dude.  Take a look at my latest changes that use
BCEL for dynamic bytecode generation for table creation.  This will
really come into its own when select statements are processed.

Regards,

- Paul H