avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: New JDBC server for phoenix
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:07:01 GMT
Stefano,

>What about asking the Hypersonic folks to donate the code to the ASF
>first?
>
>I was thinking about that the other day now that the deal with the dbXML
>folks is done: we'll have a native XML database under xml.apache.org and
>was thinking about the missing RDBMS software and hypersonic seemed to
>me a good starting point.
>
>It might be a good thing to try with them first and if they reject the
>deal, I think it's a good thing to incubate it here or over
>jakarta-commons.

An idea.  I am a committer on that project too and my feeling is that
it's direction is not one to change.  I've already adapted Hypersonic to
be a "second class" phoenix block, but being close to the code recognise
it needs a massive refactoring.  The main issue is that the original
team dispanded and lost interest.  The new team is carrying on, but I
think there is a license issue.  Copyright holders can reassign, but I
think it would be difficult to contact all contributors.

- Paul