avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stefano Mazzocchi <stef...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New JDBC server for phoenix
Date Sat, 27 Oct 2001 14:05:26 GMT
Paul Hammant wrote:

> Folks,
>
> Given that InstantDB is not going to be open after all. ( see
> http://www.simpledb.org/  ), I have possibly foolishly though of
> starting a clean DB server along the lines of InstantDB and Hypersonic.
>  The idea is that it sits in Cornerstone/apps and uses as many
> phoenix/excalibur concepts as possible.  It would ultimately lean on
> many different configurations (assembler duty) of persistence (or not)
> and wire transport.  If it gets critical mass and moves beyond "sample"
> status, perhaps it could be grated project rights at Jakarta.  For now
> though it's a solid Avalon hosted sample application of some size.  I've
> actually coded a little of it already...
>
> Then again, maybe Cornerstone is not the place.  Thoughts?

What about asking the Hypersonic folks to donate the code to the ASF
first?

I was thinking about that the other day now that the deal with the dbXML
folks is done: we'll have a native XML database under xml.apache.org and
was thinking about the missing RDBMS software and hypersonic seemed to
me a good starting point.

It might be a good thing to try with them first and if they reject the
deal, I think it's a good thing to incubate it here or over
jakarta-commons.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.