avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: .ant.properties
Date Wed, 10 Oct 2001 13:35:11 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Oct 2001 21:18, Jeff Turner wrote:
> > On Wed, Oct 10, 2001 at 12:42:46PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I just got a few complaints that .ant.properties is kinda an ugly
> > > construct when stored in project directory because it gets hidden. So I
> > > propose we rename this to ./ant.properties but we still keep the one in
> > > home directory with . in front of it (ie ~/.ant.properties).
> >
> > build.properties perhaps?
> >
> > It's as near to a standard as there is,
>
> you sure? That convention was birthed when commons was created if I am not
> mistaken. Besides commons I haven't really seen it used elsewhere. Most
> projects I know still use ant.properties because thats the way that the ant
> build file works (and it's also the way the ant-dev used to always recomend).

Actually, on the Alexandria dev list where we finally got around to discussing
my proposal on build.xml standardization, the "build.properties" was the final
verdict.  The .* files are perfect for the user directory, and that still stands.
There is still some things being discussed along the lines of "do we want all
properties to be defined in build.properties" or "just document them".  So far
the current consensus is to document the standard properties in build.properties
but not define them there.

> > and it implies a nice rule that
> > "<whatever>.xml" has properties file "<whatever>.properties". So
> > build-docs.xml and build-docs.properties are obviously associated.
>
> Perhaps. However I guess I don't see that as desirable ;) If I have 3 build
> files in a directory that would mean I could potentially have 3 different
> property files all containing the same thing. eek ! ;)

Again, the current consensus on the properties file (only one [1] file)
is that it documents the standard properties that can be overridden.  It is
one file named "build.properties", not one for _every_ build script.