avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Vote] Namespace support for Configuration objects
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2001 13:38:16 GMT
Sylvain Wallez wrote:

> Berin Loritsch a écrit :
>
> I agree with you, W3C DOM APIs are painful to use. But don't you think
> that by adding namespace in Configuration, and then selection by
> namespace and then... , you will end up with a yet another java-friendly
> equivalent to DOM when there are already JDOM and DOM4J ?
>
> DOM4J's nice interface-based design can be mapped on about anything
> (there are great examples in the distro), even on data structures where
> you cannot travel up in the hierarchy like Configuration. So what about
> a DOM4JConfigurable interface and two adapter classes to wrap a
> Configuration as a DOM4J and a DOM4J as a Configuration to ensure
> compatibility with existing code ?

Can I remind everyone right now that you can't pass a DOM4J node to a
Configurable object?  I am trying to pass child configuraiton objects
to Components, and I don't want to have to propose a new Configurable
interface called DOMConfigurable to pass Nodes.  That is rediculous.
The addition of the Namespace class will allow me to use the _existing_
framework, yet solve my problem.  The Namespace objects are cached, and
their resources are managed.