avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: what's a validator
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 19:47:43 GMT
On Mon, 29 Oct 2001 00:38, Gerhard Froehlich wrote:
> Hi,
> you folks speak a lot about validators.
> in which context are they used and what
> is there job?

Basically when we talk about validators we are probably talking about some
component that validates configuration. So we may have DTD validator that
makes sure a component conforms to a DTD or XSchemaValidator that makes sure
it conforms to an XML Schema.

However we may also mean it as a general purpose component that makes sure
data conforms to specific rules. ie a Form validator would make sure that the
input parameters to GUI/servlet/other conform to a set of rules (ie all
fields supplied and validly formatted).

--
Cheers,

Pete

"Invincibility is in oneself, vulnerability in the opponent." -- Sun Tzu