avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Minutes from AvalonCon #1
Date Sun, 28 Oct 2001 01:06:49 GMT
On Sun, 28 Oct 2001 12:01, Paul Hammant wrote:
> >Even if we were to create
> >Avalon Method Invocation we would still need a AMIException for the same
> > use anyways,
>
> Yes but extend RuntimeException not Exception.  GLUE does this and it is
> seamless.

I like the fact that Remote is not a runtime exception. It forces the
developer to write code that behaves nicely in a distributed environment. You
should be catching this down low and dealing with them gracefully IMHO ;)

About the only thing that really and truly sucks about RMI is that you have
to have two versions of interfaces and that your implementation has to
implement the Remote version (bleck!!!).

They fixed this in EJBs because now EJBs no longer have to implement the
remote interface - yaya!!!!! I have thought about doing a proxy/wrapper/stub
compiler that just exported local version and was automagically generated. In
a perfect world the setup per class would be something like

interface Foo
{
  void doStuff();
}
class FooImpl implements Foo {}

interface RemoteFoo extends Foo
{
  void doStuff() throws RemoteException;
}
class RemoteFooStub extends RemoteObject implements RemoteFoo { ]

The first two would be human created while the second two would be computer
generated.

--
Cheers,

Pete