avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: unistall implementation (was Re: App instantiation problem - advice needed.)
Date Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:51:30 GMT
On Thu, 25 Oct 2001 06:36, Mircea Toma wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I managed to complete application uninstall implementation (removing only
> the unmodified expanded files). I still have a problem with block files,
> when Installer tries to delete them will fail because the files are used by
> another process. The only process I can think of is the URLClassLoader but
> I'm not sure and I don't see how I can solve this problem anyway ... maybe
> you do?!

Change to a real OS ? ;)

Im not sure that there is an easy way to "fix" it under win32. What we can do
is dispose of all classloader material, call System.gc(0 and wait a bit and
hope that the GC has released file lock. Not sure.

> Peter, in a previous email you said that file digests (filename and
> checksum) should be stored to a file. You think that's still necessary? And
> if it is, why?

yep - still necessary. The reason is that I see installtion happening only
once - not everytime you start up phoenix.

So i want to do something like

install.sh myApp.sar

and then later on when I want to uninstalll it do something like

uninstall.sh myApp.sar

or something. Currently we install + uninstall everytime phoenix launches -
however that is mainly legacy from ages ago ;)

Does that make sense ?

--
Cheers,

Pete