avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeremias Maerki <jeremias.mae...@outline.ch>
Subject Using custom URL protocol handlers in Phoenix
Date Wed, 24 Oct 2001 12:11:39 GMT
Hi

For my server app I have a custom URL protocol handler that needs to be
registered. Normally this is done by setting the
-Djava.protocol.handler.pkgs parameter of the VM. But since my handler
needs several jars (such as application specific jars and other api jars)
I need to copy them into phoenix's lib directory to get it to work
(classloaders and all...). And I don't want to do that, of course.

So I wonder if the following is a good approach: Extend Phoenix to have
a special URL protocol facility where applications can register and
deregister their protocol handlers. Phoenix registers a special
URLProtocolHandlerFactory using URL.setURLProtocolHandlerFactory.

I don't know in detail, yet, how I would implement it. Maybe if this is
a good idea, someone can give me a hint on how exactly to do it. Or
maybe there is a better way of doing it.

Cheers,
Jeremias Märki

mailto:jeremias.maerki@outline.ch

OUTLINE AG
Fon +41 (41) 317 2020 - Fax +41 (41) 317 2029
Internet http://www.outline.ch