avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Can I shutdown Avalon with certain exceptions?
Date Tue, 16 Oct 2001 08:29:07 GMT
On Tue, 16 Oct 2001 14:33, Serge Knystautas wrote:
> Is there a special kind of exception you can throw or other call I can make
> in a block or service to signal the Avalon created JVM to shutdown
> completely (and report why)?
>
> Generally this would be done during the init process, but could be at other
> times.  In James there are certain problems that cannot be gracefully
> managed (like if a mail repository, file or db, can't be saved to because
> of structure problems, no more space, etc...), and a quick shutdown would
> be the best way to go.

In the init process you can just throw an exception from one of the lifecycle
methods. This will cause James to attempt to shut down gracefully.

During runtime there is not a current way that is exposed to
ServerApplications however there will be in the future. In the meantime you
should be able to call System.exit() and it will gracefully detect this and
attempt a shutdown (I think). However make sure you never expect any code
after exit() to be executed or synchronization locks to be honoured.

--
Cheers,

Pete