avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: re-configuration notifier
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2001 06:12:15 GMT
On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:45, Mircea Toma wrote:
> I was thinking of ways to reconfigure blocks regardless of reconfiguration
> process (modifying the conf.xml or using the SystemManager).

Right - or even better - in a LDAP server ;) (A long term wish lst item of
mine).

> The way I see
> it done is by having a *ReconfigurationNotifier* who will notify listeners
> about changes to the configuration stored in ConfigurationRepository.

sounds good.

> Listeners will implement the Reconfigurable interface of course.

I would create a new Listener interface so you get more information than
Reconfigurable gives you. ie How would the configuration serializer listener
know which block the data is from?

> Usually
> there will be only one listener, the block owning the configuration.
> This approach can be coupled with a deploy process where the configuration
> files are cloned at startup and updated each time the configuration changes
> at runtime. In this way the process updating the files can be implemented
> as a listener (living outside the kernel maybe?!).
>
> What do you think?

I like. It has been something I have wanted to do for ages ;)

--
Cheers,

Pete

"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the
 point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one.
 The happiness of credulity is a cheap and dangerous quality."
        -- George Bernard Shaw