avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject Re: App instantiation problem - advice needed.
Date Mon, 22 Oct 2001 23:08:55 GMT
Hi,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: "Avalon Development" <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Monday, October 22, 2001 7:58 AM
Subject: Re: App instantiation problem - advice needed.

> Hi,
>
> I started to rework the Installer slightly to work with the format I
proposed
> a while back. Everything in SAR-INF except config.xml/server.xml should
not
> be extracted. Anyways can you run it again and see if this produces any
> different results. I have a suspicion of where to look if the latest
version
> does not work for you.
>
> Mircea could you also check that I did things right and didn't remove any
of
> your functionality. I think I just reworked it a bit so hopefully it
should
> all be there.

The only problem is that installation from remote URL-s are not possible
anymore (I guess you want to implement that once VFS is implemented).

There are a few things I wanted to bring to your attention:

- right now there is no way to install multiple applications from the same
.sar file because the application relative directory gets its name from the
installation URL. I think that the Deployer should create application base
directory and pass that to the Installer.

- for the unistallation part, files expanded to the file-system (not if a
file is in the way) can be registered into the Installation object, when
uninstall is called the Installer will check the modification date and
remove only the files who were not modified.

- instead of expanding the config.xml maybe is better to have a persistent
ConfigurationRepository?!

mircea