avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject Re: re-configuration notifier
Date Sun, 07 Oct 2001 07:22:58 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org>
To: "Avalon Development" <avalon-dev@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Sunday, October 07, 2001 12:12 AM
Subject: Re: re-configuration notifier

> On Sun, 7 Oct 2001 13:45, Mircea Toma wrote:
> > I was thinking of ways to reconfigure blocks regardless of
reconfiguration
> > process (modifying the conf.xml or using the SystemManager).
>
> Right - or even better - in a LDAP server ;) (A long term wish lst item of
> mine).

This shouldn't be too difficult! I worked a lot before with LDAP servers.

> > The way I see
> > it done is by having a *ReconfigurationNotifier* who will notify
listeners
> > about changes to the configuration stored in ConfigurationRepository.
>
> sounds good.
>
> > Listeners will implement the Reconfigurable interface of course.
>
> I would create a new Listener interface so you get more information than
> Reconfigurable gives you. ie How would the configuration serializer
listener
> know which block the data is from?

The way I see the configuration serializer has nothing to do with this
'Notifier'. The ConfigurationNotifier is a helper class for the
ConfigurationRepository (sort of BlockListenerSupport) to notify/reconfigure
registered components. To answer your question, the Application will
register a block with a certain configuration from repository. The
configuration stored in ConfigurationRepository is updated at its turn by a
different process like a FileMonitor or directly by the SystemManager. A
configuration serializer would be used for the opposite direction when the
configuration stored in ConfigurationRepository is modified the (cloned)
file will be updated by a listener.

Mircea