avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <Paul_Hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: How does Avalon load libraries???
Date Mon, 10 Sep 2001 09:37:22 GMT
Ulrich,

>we have severe problems here with classloading, which we cannot
>reproduce at will. Sometimes jars in the general Avalon lib directory
>are not found by a block. Sometimes jars in a block's lib directory are
>found by other blocks (even by blocks in another .sar application),
>sometimes not even by their own block. Sometimes Avalon loads blocks and
>sars in alphabetical order, sometimes not. Something is seriously weird
>here and to put my finger on it I'd like to know how and when Avalon
>loads libraries in a multi-block, multi-sar environment like this:

I've been getting that too.  Sometimes works, sometimes does not.

>~avalon/lib
>
>~avalon/apps/foo.sar
>~avalon/apps/foo/blocks/block1/lib
>~avalon/apps/foo/blocks/block2/lib
>
>~avalon/apps/bar.sar
>~avalon/apps/bar/blocks/block3/lib
>~avalon/apps/bar/blocks/block4/lib
>
>~avalon/apps/baz.sar
>~avalon/apps/baz/blocks/block5/lib
>
>Now, suppose block3 and block5 need the same jar - where do I put it?
>What is the general strategy of Avalon loading jars?

Each .sar is completely seperate.  Jars in it's lib/ dir will be shared
by all it's blocks.

In your scenario, bar.sar and baz.sar would need to contain the libs,
but they'll be in different classloaders and share no static aspects.

>Thank you very much for any pointers,

Hope that helped.

-PH