avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Excalibur Release?
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 15:40:50 GMT
On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 09:57:39AM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> We need to prepare Excalibur for release soon, hopefully before
> next Wednesday so Cocoon can do a release with an official jar.
>
> Does anyone have any information on what needs to be done before
> an official Excalibur 4.0 FINAL release?  If not, I would like
> to release Excalibur 4.0 as final next Teusday.

Just a few questions about the documentation..

1) Every time I've ever generated the xdocs, I've been getting these non-fatal
exceptions in build/work/cocoon.log:

ERROR   99987   [cocoon  ] (main): Error in MRUMemoryStore()
java.lang.ClassCastException: java.lang.String
    at org.apache.cocoon.components.store.MRUMemoryStore.contextualize(MRUMemoryStore.java:134)
    at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.DefaultComponentFactory.newInstance(DefaultComponentFactory.java:97)
    at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ThreadSafeComponentHandler.initialize(ThreadSafeComponentHandler.java:82)
    at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentManager.initialize(ExcaliburComponentManager.java:157)
    at org.apache.cocoon.Cocoon.initialize(Cocoon.java:163)
    at org.apache.cocoon.Main.main(Main.java:289)

Perhaps an updated cocoon.jar will fix this?

2) After the last release, there was talk about moving completely to Docbook.
Am I right in thinking that this would simply involve applying
document2docbook.xsl to the remaining XML files, and removing that stylesheet
from the sitemap? In the very next step (docbook2body.xsl), it ends up back in
Apache-specific territory (sitebook/stylebook, whatever it's called), so I
can't see any huge advantage ;)

3) As as recently asked by Mariano Camp ("Docs as PDF"), is generating PDF docs
possible?

I ask in part because Log4j is currently adopting Docbook, and want to generate
printable (PDF) docs. Avalon's system has been put forward as a possible
solution. The relevant thread is "[POLL] Documentation in Docbook" on log4j-user.

--Jeff