avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [phoenix] ThreadManager - a block or a system level service?
Date Thu, 06 Sep 2001 07:24:54 GMT
On Thu, 6 Sep 2001 18:22, Paul Hammant wrote:
> Peter.
>
> OK, ThreadPool become a block like any other, in that there would be XML
> in assembly.xml and config.xml.    Fine by me.

kool.

> You think that a lot of "core" existing code is not using
> org.apache.avalon.excalibur.thread.ThreadPool and should be.

Maybe ... not sure. All the stuff I write uses it ;)

> Would we have a default Phoenix/Cornerstone block that implemented
> thread-pool and patched it's calls through to the excalibur version?

eseentially - yep.

> Could/should the excalibur version continue to be used directly by
> blocks or should everything migrate to the block based ThreadPool?

For the moment but the long-term strategy would be to move everything to use
block directly rather than ThreadContext.getThreadPool(). The main reason is
because that matches how we use it and it would be easier to manage
performance characteristerics of pool that way.

> (hoping I have understood correctly).

yup ;)

--
Cheers,