avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Q] Using RMI in Avalon?
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 08:41:01 GMT
Hiya,

On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 17:20, Indigo wrote:
> I'm planning to expose my server interfaces through RMI or RMI/IIOP.
> Now my question is what is the best way to do this? Should I
> inherit my interface from both Component and Remote interface?
> Or should I use some sort of delegation mechanism where Component
> and Remote are implemented by different objects? Is Component
> a proper level to handle Remoting? Or shoul I use Service or Block?
> I haven't found anything relevant in Excalibur or Cornerstone, but
> in case I have missed, could somebody point me to the right direction
> if there is some sort of "RMI wrappers" or "CORBA proxy-stub managers"
> or something like those?

We have planned something like this with respect to management. In the past
we have talked about it a few different ways but the most popular has been
something like

interface ManagableService extends Service, Remote {}

or maybe

interface MBeanService extends Service, ...MBean {}

So eventually you could mark a block as being "manageable" and it would be
exported via whatever mechanisms (whether they are RMI/JMX/WBEM/other). This
assumes you are using RMI for management of applications.

If your intention is not management but instead exporting of the object then
I would instead do something like

interface RemoteService extends Service, Remote {}
interface MyRemoteService extends RemoteService {}
class MyBlock implements Block, MyRemoteService {}

does that make sense?

--
Cheers,

Pete