avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: DatagramOutputTarget
Date Wed, 05 Sep 2001 04:50:45 GMT
On Wed, 5 Sep 2001 14:31, Mircea Toma wrote:
> I was getting started to do the DatagramTargetFactory (?) when I saw that
> DatagramOutputTarget doesn't allow to send serialized LogEvent objects,
> functionality that would be nice to have if no JMS server is available. So,
> I was wondering what is the reason why this is not implemented?

The original purpose of DatagramTarget was to allow you to log to unix
syslogd daemons by something like DatagramTarget + SyslogFormatter. Thus why
there was no serialized support (and LogEvents weren't serialzable back then).

> ... if because it's the first implementation I can change it to have this
> additional functionality!

If you do decide to do that then you will probably have to create a basic
server that collects the events aswell.

--
Cheers,

Pete