avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject JMX and stuff...
Date Fri, 07 Sep 2001 05:44:17 GMT
Hi,

I was browsing through the mailing-list archive trying to find reasons why
certain decisions have been taken and also I checked out the to-do list to
see which are the overlaps between Avalon needs and my needs. The conclusion
was that remote management (JMX), hot deploy (preferably with remote loading
of blocks) and LogKit new management are the things that I would like to
have (and work on of course).

What strike me about JMX management is that in Avalon the configuration has
a hierarchical structure (and that's really sweet) but with JMX you can
change only properties, which have a flat structure. Another thing is, if
the blocks made available for management will have very little things to act
on (only the methods that have no args or with primitive arguments). Right
now this can be changed only by making the block follow the JavaBean pattern
(Leo Simon already said this) in order to change the configuration values
but this will brake the Avalon framework contracts (I think!). So, the idea
that came to me (might be a childish one) was to somehow ??? make available
for management the values stored in the ConfigurationRepository in a
structured fashion, in this way when some value was changed by the agent the
reconfigure(...) method will be called on the blocks implementing
Reconfigurable. This will work well also if the SystemManager will use JNDI
to manage the blocks.
The existing mechanism in Phoenix for registering blocks allows only actions
(not values/properties) to be made available for management: like "start",
"stop", "deploy", "undeploy" ...

I guess I was trying to revive the remote management subject which seems to
be stalled for a while now.

Mircea