avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@sundn.de>
Subject AW: LogKit - FileRotation
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 14:57:46 GMT
> Peter Donald wrote:
>
> On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 00:03, Carsten Ziegeler wrote:
> > > Peter Donald wrote:

> > > Both or either ;) I used an
> > >
> > > interface RollCondition
> > > {
> > >   boolean roll( LogEvent event, File file );
> > > }
> > >
> > > that allowed you to select the conditions under which you roll.

> > > eek ! It must be the season for it ;)

> > > Abvsolutely. The other thing I started to implement was an
> interface like
> > >
> > > interface RollStrategy
> > > {
> > >   File nextFile( File oldFile );
> > > }
> >
> > Do you also have an interface for testing when to roll?
>
> Yep - see above (RollCondition)  ;)

Ups...

So your interfaces all depend on File objects. I am not so familiar
with the IO behaviour of Java, but I assume that you open and close
the file each time you write something into the log, right?
Otherwise a RollCondition which checks the file size woudn't work,
or am I wrong here?

I first implemented the target with this behaviour: opening the file,
appending the information, closing it. But if you have turned on
logging everything this will get soooo slow that I changed this
into using an internal byte counter.

Carsten

?