avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Stuart Roebuck <stuart.roeb...@adolos.co.uk>
Subject Re: JUnit AvalonTestCase
Date Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:15:24 GMT
Funnily enough I spent Tuesday working out a solution for this kind of
issue for a Cocoon Action I'm working on at the moment.

I went for a 'mock' object approach [see
<http://mockobjects.sourceforge.net/endotesting.html>], creating mock
versions of (for my case) Redirector, Request, Session, Source and
SourceResolver.  These all represent the simplest possible implementations
of the interfaces, which pass back results that I pre-set with additional
set methods.  I like this approach because it's very simple, very flexible
and transparent, and the mock objects can potentially grow in the source
base alongside the test cases.

Here's an example of a bit of one of the resulting testcases:

> public class SessionHandlerTest extends TestCase {
>
>     private SessionHandler handler;
>     private SessionMock session;
>     private Redirector redirector;
>     private SourceResolver sourceResolver;
>     private RequestMock request;
>     private Parameters parameters;
>     private Map objectModel;
>
>     public SessionHandlerTest(String name) {
>         super(name);
>     }
>
>     public void setUp() {
>         this.handler = new SessionHandler();
>         this.session = new SessionMock();
>         this.redirector = new RedirectorMock();
>         this.sourceResolver = new SourceResolverMock();
>         this.request = new RequestMock();
>         this.parameters = new Parameters();
>         this.objectModel = new HashMap();
>         this.objectModel.put(Constants.REQUEST_OBJECT, this.request);
>     }
>

>     /**
>      * Check that a form field of "login=sessionHandler" is required for
> successful
>      * login.
>      */
>     public void testActLoginSessionHandlerField() throws Exception {
>         setupValidLoginAttempt();
>         this.request.mockRemoveParameter("login");
>         Map map = handler.act(this.redirector, this.sourceResolver, this.
> objectModel, "src", this.parameters);
>         assertNull("Action should return null to indicate rejected login"
> , map);
>     }
>

>     private void setupValidLoginAttempt() {
>         this.request.mockSetParameter("login","sessionHandler");
>         this.request.mockSetParameter("username","valid");
>         this.request.mockSetParameter("password","user");
>         this.parameters.setParameter("accept-login","true");
>         this.parameters.setParameter("require-secure-login","true");
>         this.parameters.setParameter("required-login-
> parameters","username,password");
>         this.session.setAttribute("sessionhandler/original_uri","testpage"
> );
>         this.request.mockSetSecure(true);
>         this.request.mockSetSession(this.session);
>     }

My personal feeling is that setting up specialized TestCases for testing,
whilst it may simplify the code of tests for people familiar with the code,
  removes transparency and adds a level of complexity into the test cases
that could make them harder to maintain. e.g. you need to look at the
definition of the new TestCase in order to determine what the pre-set
state is and then learn the new methods for altering it.  With plain Mock
classes you have to explicitly setup everything in the TestCase which may
require more lines of code (but then you can easily do a copy and paste
job from a previous test case), however, you end up with a test case that
is self contained and self documenting.  The only new methods you need to
learn are additional methods in the mock classes that provide setup or
validation functionality.

Stuart.

PS. I'm intending feeding back the mock objects to Cocoon if folk are
interested.