avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Giacomo Pati <giac...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LogKitManagement
Date Wed, 22 Aug 2001 09:41:28 GMT
Quoting Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org>:

> woooohoooooooo!

:)

> Sounds great. Also a lot of potential xml/javadocs in that description
> ;)

I've taken care to write more that only minimal javadocs. Sure, my explanatory
mail can be used to create a xdoc for the LogKitManagement.

> On Wed, 22 Aug 2001 01:20, Giacomo Pati wrote:
> > After that the LogKitManager is ready to be asked for Loggers. For now
> if
> > it cannot find the requested logger for a category the default logger
> is
> > returned (the one passed in via Loggable).
>
> I am not sure what you mean by this. The Hierarchy and Logger should
> create
> Loggers that don't exist but are asked for. Maybe I missed something in
> explanation ???

I wasn't sure how to handle the following issue. If a client specifies a logger
(logger="foo.bar") in a component configuration file which doesn't exist the
Hierarchy.getLoggerForName will return a valid Logger but IIRC that logger will
not have any LogTargets set, right? Thus I've decided to return the default
Logger passed in at creation time. The alternative would be to raise an
Exception to signal "no Logger for that category configured".

Giacomo