avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: New Monitor framework
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 16:18:27 GMT
Pratik Patel wrote:

> >This opens up a whole new realm to the Caching implementation,
> >which can confidently serve old content until it is told there
> >is new information.  In fact, it can continue to serve the older
> >content until the new information is loaded into the cache.
> >
> I'm still learning Avalon, so please excuse me if I ask strange questions:
>
> Will this Monitoring Framework allow any resource to be watched? Let me
> explain; I want to be able to 'ping' a web server using http, can I
> write a 'module' that plugs into this framework? Of course, the details
> of which webserver to ping, which port, how often, etc would be in some
> config file (which may or may not be able to be changed after startup).
> Then, I can take an appropriate action if a ping fails some criteria.
> The idea is to abstract the implementation, configuration, and action of
> this monitoring framework so I can write generic modules to watch things
> like system resources, network resources, etc.

Hopefully the framework will be generic enough for all that.  My first concern
is having a foundation that can handle alot of what Cocoon code does manually
now.  Its premise is we are monitoring things that change content.  I.e. if
the content of a resource has changed since time X.

All specific types of resources extend the Resource or StreamResource abstract
classes.