avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Pratik Patel <prpa...@metalab.unc.edu>
Subject Re: New Monitor framework
Date Wed, 15 Aug 2001 15:47:32 GMT

>This opens up a whole new realm to the Caching implementation,
>which can confidently serve old content until it is told there
>is new information.  In fact, it can continue to serve the older
>content until the new information is loaded into the cache.

I'm still learning Avalon, so please excuse me if I ask strange questions:

Will this Monitoring Framework allow any resource to be watched? Let me
explain; I want to be able to 'ping' a web server using http, can I
write a 'module' that plugs into this framework? Of course, the details
of which webserver to ping, which port, how often, etc would be in some
config file (which may or may not be able to be changed after startup).
Then, I can take an appropriate action if a ping fails some criteria.
The idea is to abstract the implementation, configuration, and action of
this monitoring framework so I can write generic modules to watch things
like system resources, network resources, etc.

cheers
Pratik