avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: avalon and soap
Date Mon, 06 Aug 2001 14:36:14 GMT
fanyun wrote:

> Hi all:
>
> After study avlon for 1 week, I feel it provide a way programmer can build seperated
software blocks and configure them to work together using XML.  I wonder is it just like using
Soap Services to build application.  Or like the way EJB works.

> Can any one explain what is the difference between these 3:   Avalon, Soap, EJB

Avalon is a Component framework that specifies the contracts for Components and how
they work together.

SOAP is a protocol to process requests based on XML markup.

EJB is Sun's version of remote server side components that allow you to separate
database integration between the components and database structure.

EJB does not know anything about Avalon's Framework, but Avalon can be used to
create an EJB engine.

If you want to create a standalone application that interfaces with EJB, you can
use Avalon for the framework for your application, and interprets SOAP requests.
It will then make calls to your EJB server.