avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Current status of post release issues:
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2001 20:12:33 GMT
Leo Simons wrote:

> (and status of my PC at the bottom)

> 8* Code autoformat for CVS [Low]
>   + only for .java files
>
> * I'm concerned this will be buggy.

We have a volunteer to test it for us on an off-line CVS
provided we have a formatter that is good enough.  This
is may not come to fruition though.

> ------------------------
> Is he back now? Short answer: yes.

Yay!

> Long answer:
>
> Remember how I talked a while ago about totally getting rid of MS
> when I got ADSL?
> To cut a very long and boring story a bit shorter, I have spent countless
> hours trying to get either of linux, FreeBSD, Solaris, Darwin and even
> minix to work with ADSL. It turns out the _only_ way to do this
> so it _actually_ works like it should is by doing some (illegal)
> hacking of the ADSL modem. Which I cannot do as I work for my ISP...

Lovely how that works....

> Thus, I decided to abandon the effort and install windows 2000 with
> cygwin. While trying to reformat my hard drive to NTFS, I managed to
> screw it up so completely that the only thing I could do to get running
> again was run an 'NSA-strength' data destroyer boot floppy over the
> entire disk. Took 87 hours, btw.
> I installed win2000 on a FAT 32 disk. Worked fine for about two days;
> when I tried to install the latest service pack though, the thing started
> hickupping; when I installed IE 5.5, it died. Hurray.

Is your hardware compatible with Win2k?  I am running it with no problems.
I find Win2k to be pretty stable/usable for a MS OS.

> So, now I'm running the ugly but at least working windows 98 again.....

yuck.  98 sucks