avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: James & Avalon FtpServer UserManager ?
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2001 14:07:54 GMT
On Thu, 30 Aug 2001 18:45, Charles Benett wrote:
> For Avalon folk:
> - over in James we have started on a block - userstore - that we
> intended to migrate to Avalon once it was tested. Its designed to serve
> multiple Avalon sars/ bars. Essentially, the userstore is a set of
> UserRepositories. You might have different repositories for, e.g. local
> email users, authorised ftp users and an email list. There is a base
> User interface (currently just name & password) from which you can
> extend application specific users. e.g JamesUser for email, which has
> aliases and forwarding info. The current implementations support hashed
> passwords. We have filesystem and database storage implementations. See
> jakarta-james/proposals/userstore
> - a quick look at the ftp user stuff suggests the james user material is
> much simpler thean the ftp material, but the ftp could be done as an
> extension of the common base.

Sounds good. However could we have a terminology change. Namely instead of
using UserRepositories could we use the term Realm as that would make it much
easier to integrate into J2EE style terminology. There is currently a JSR in
progress to standardize and interface for Realms but last I checked it had
just started.

> For James folk:
> - Avalon has just added an ftp server (in jakarta-avalon-cornerstone)
> with an extensive user management facility. (Which does quite a lot more
> than is needed for james)
>
> I suggest we move the james userstore block to avalon and then look at
> combining that with the ftpserver user stuff.

+1

--
Cheers,

Pete