avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: [vote] Intermediate directory name change to Target?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 00:27:39 GMT
On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 09:44:31AM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A while ago there was an attempt to standardize build environments between
> apache projects. It was never that successful because of inter-project
> conflicts for various conventions. One of those conventions was the name of
> intermediate directory. Many projects use build/, others use bin/classes,
> bin/javadoc etc. However some projects (turbine et al) use build directory to
> refer to build scripts and descriptors and some designate bin/** as location
> of project specific tools.
>
> Anyways a pseudo convention of using "target/" as intermediate directory has
> occured in commons/struts projects. Because this doesn't cause any conflicts
> and thus could be integrated into all apache projects (ignoring egos) I say
> we move towards it. The easier it is to build projects the more likely we are
> to see developers work with Apache.

What does "target" mean, or imply?

I can understand "build" ("the results of the build process") and "bin"
(binaries, ie non-source, implying build output), but "target" is a bit
vague to me.. is it where results from all build "targets" go? No..

Enough of the world uses build/ for me to be comfortable with it. My vote: 0

--Jeff