avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Incze Lajos <in...@mail.matav.hu>
Subject Re: build scripts
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 19:16:59 GMT
On Thu, Aug 16, 2001 at 10:27:48PM +1000, Peter Donald wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 21:31, Charles Benett wrote:
> > Here's a thought: can we get rid of all the build.sh/build.bat and
> > ant.jar etc?
>
> nice idea but not yet good in practice I don't think. Anything that requires
> me to do more than
>
> cvs co myproject
> cd myproject
> ./build.sh
>
> is too much IMHO :)

The current practice in many apache projects is

cvs co myproject
cd myproject
ant

To get it work you maintain a build.properties file to
hold the places where your external jar files and other
system/home dependencies. This way you can keep only one
instance per version of any parsers, loggers etc. And
you can take a look at the jjar initiative in the commons
sandbox.

It's worth to get rid of things like this:

/opt/hpmw/hpis/tools/tes_hpis/lib/ext/xerces.jar
/opt/icecubes0_5/xerces.jar
/opt/Protege-2000/plugins/xerces.jar
/opt/nomagic/lib/xerces.jar
/opt/castor-0.9.2/xerces.jar