avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Type-safe Enum not so type-safe.
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2001 02:17:29 GMT
On Sun, Aug 12, 2001 at 03:17:15PM -0700, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> --- Jeff Turner <jeff@socialchange.net.au> wrote:
[snip]

> > Still, it's a backwards-incompatible change. Should
> > we create a CVS branch "avalon-5_0" for things like this?
>
> -1.
>
> In cases like this, where the API change is not
> backwards compatible, but necessary due to security
> or other important issues, we change it in CVS,
> promote the version of Framework to 4.1, and we make a
> release.

Sounds good.

> There are two key things to keep in mind:
>
> 1) The reason of the change needs to be WELL documented
> 2) We also look at other things we want to include in
>    the release.
>
> I would make the change in CVS, but wait until at least
> September 12 before we make another release.  We need
> to plan these things--especially since we made a big
> announcement for the 4.0 release.

Okay, I have

 - Updated phoenix, putting Traversal into a separate class as
   suggested.
 - Changed the Enum constructor signatures from public to protected.
 - Explained this change in the javadocs, with reference to the new
   examples which illustrate correct use.
 - Added an entry in jakarta-avalon changes.xml.
 - Made sure the various projects still build.

--Jeff