avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Has anyone considered C++ Framework?
Date Fri, 17 Aug 2001 13:04:46 GMT
On Fri, 17 Aug 2001 19:18, Leo Sutic wrote:
> I have, but I don't know how we're going to do dynamic classloading. DLL /
> .so?

Dynamic classloading is doable if you know the client interfaces before hand
(like COM or normal CORBA). You just need to worry about all linking between
libraries (sometimes you end up with highly delicate dll/.so dependency lists.

If you don't know interfaces before hand and want to do dynamic dispatching
(ie find out methods available and then call them) then it as absolute PITA.
I gave up on implementing that after about 8 days of agony ;)

> Anyway, I use C++ for games development so maybe dynamic classloading
> isn't necessary.

Ever thought of doing games in avalon/java ? ;) I have - or at least the
server part.

> But IMO what C++ needs is just a nice class library. We can deal with the
> components later, but what I want is a good toolkit similar to java.util.
> One that can handle object references properly (which stl doesn't - put one
> instance in two vectors and delete one vector: BAM dangling pointer.).

C++ is just too much damn work and there is too many competing "standards"
none of which are interoperable and few of which are ever as complete as
java. QT is nice though.

> So... Anyone considered a C# Framework?

Actually thought about it recently - a couple of days ago I did a bit of
poking at C# - looks neat in parts and a cleaner runtime structure (Also no
need for inner classes anymore - yea!). It seems to have inherited a lot of
the cruft from C/C++ though ;( ... then again it would be kool to have
several languages interoperate without jumping through loops.

The problem is that MSes version already has bunches of stuff not in
specification apparently (or so saids their website). I suspect that for all
intents and purposes it will still be a one vendor solution. There maybe a
outside effort like Chillsofts ASP but I am not so sure.

Besides my main problems with java are scheduled to be all removed by
tiger/jdk1.5 - yea!!!!! So it will depend on timing. If java opensources or
gets to 1.5 before C# gains maturity then java wins - if not ...

--
Cheers,

Pete