avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: ExcaliburTestCase
Date Thu, 16 Aug 2001 12:39:58 GMT
On Thu, 16 Aug 2001 22:41, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> For the time being, I would place it in Excalibur's jar.  In the future, I
> want to repurpose the Jakarta Avalon Testlet project to be the place for
> such things. The new version of the Testlet package would include classes
> like this one, metrics gathering classes (I have a C based SLOC counter
> that measures physical SLOC, logical SLOC, and number of instances a
> keyword is used).  BTW, the acronym SLOC means Source Lines Of Code.  I
> also want to put together a Complexity rating engine. Complexity is
> computed on a per method basis, and basically you start with 1, and for
> each loop (for/do/while), condition (if/else/switch/case), or exception
> handling (try/catch/finally) block you add one.  That means that you add 1
> for each time you encounter the those keywords really.  High complexity
> ratings are used to identify which methods or functions are ripe for
> refactoring.  Decent complexity levels are around 7 and below.

Theres a really kool tool that does that already ... from memory it is called
JRefactory and is at sourceforge. It is also fairly good at source formatting
and OK at refactoring. The only issue is that it is GPL however the author
violates the GPL in a number of different ways so he may be convinced to LGPL
or similar.

--
Cheers,

Pete