avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Type-safe Enum not so type-safe.
Date Sun, 12 Aug 2001 13:14:35 GMT
On Sun, 12 Aug 2001 23:14, Jeff Turner wrote:

> > It used to be protected at one stage ... can't seem to recall why it was
> > made public. Is there any code in Avalon that it would break?
>
> Er.. yes, actually.
>
> Two cases in Phoenix:
>
> src/java/org/apache/avalon/framework/camelot/State.java
> src/java/org/apache/avalon/phoenix/components/phases/BlockDAG.java
>
> In both cases, moving the constructor calls from outside to inside is
> pretty easy, and the code looks just as good. I don't think these
> examples represent a new use-case for non-typesafe Enums.

Ahh yes - I remember now. I was a a crusade to remove cruft and I was going
to go back and make Enum/ValuedEnum protected again after I had finished
workin with that,

> Still, it's a backwards-incompatible change. Should we create a CVS
> branch "avalon-5_0" for things like this?

Well it would be *extremely* unlikely to break anything but up to you. You
can deprecate them giving a message saying "going to protected access next
release because of X, Y and Z" if you want. I am +/-0 either way ;)

> Diffs for the avalon and phoenix changes attached.

I would avoid inner classes like the plague if possible - too many shoddy
compilers/IDEs are not spec compliant in that area ;(

Instead I would make Traversal a new top-level class.

> --Jeff
>
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Pete

> > | "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind, |
> > | and proving that there is no need to do so - almost |
> > | everyone gets busy on the proof."                   |
> > |              - John Kenneth Galbraith               |

Cheers,

Pete