avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LogKit Configurator
Date Fri, 10 Aug 2001 03:17:34 GMT
On Fri, 10 Aug 2001 06:49, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> giacomo wrote:
> > On Thu, 2 Aug 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > > Projects like Cocoon need a way to easily configure
> > > the all the LogTargets and Categories that are associated
> > > with LogKit.  This will facilitate having the type of
> > > Log Messages you want where you want them.  It will also
> > > help limit the ammount log messages that are currently
> > > in cocoon.log.
> > >
> > > The LogKit Configurator would be a generic enough component
> > > to include in Avalon Excalibur--but the direct benefit would
> > > be for Cocoon and other private projects.  It is something
> > > I have been wanting for a while--but have not had the time
> > > to create.
> > >
> > > If anyone has the spare time to create this Component, please
> > > let me know.  I would like to see it sooner than later!
> >
> > It seems you have already made some thoughts about it. Can you explain
> > them here? As I'm writing the ExcaliburTestCase where you mentioned
> > exacly this I might have some time to acomplish this as well.
>
> My thoughts have been along the lines of a configuration format that
> separates the LogTargets from the Loggers categories:
>
> <logkit>
>   <targets>
>     <file id="root">
>       <filename>dev/logs/main.log</filename>
>     </file>
>     <file id="classloader">
>       <filename>dev/logs/classloader.log</filename>
>     </file>
>     <priority-filter id="servlet" log-level="ERROR">
>       <servlet/>
>     </priority-filter>
>   </targets>
>
>   <categories>
>     <category name="cocoon" log-level="INFO">
>       <log-target id-ref="root"/>
>       <log-target id-ref="servlet"/>
>
>       <category name="classloader" log-level="DEBUG">
>         <log-target id-ref="classloader"/>
>       </category>
>     </category>
>   </categories>
> </logkit>
>
> I am not really set on anything though.

Another way I have about doing it is something like

<targets>
  <target name="file:dev/logs/classloader.log"/>

  <target name="console:stderr"/>

  <target name="db:my-table">
    <parameter name="username" value="dbsa"/>
    <parameter name="password" value="secret"/>
  </target>

</targets>

Then have a place where factorys could be registered. Factorys would look like

interface TargetFactory
{
  LogTarget createTarget( String protocol,
                          String target,
                          Parameter parameters );
}

final LogTarget target =
    factory.createTarget( "file", "/var/log/mylog.log", null );

Cheers,

Pete