avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Merge Cadastre into Excalibur
Date Wed, 08 Aug 2001 13:21:14 GMT
On Wed,  8 Aug 2001 22:36, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> > However I do have a problem with the length of import statements. A
> > direct convertion will mean the length of our import statements are
> > pushing 60 characters !!!! Not sure how to deal with this just yet
> > thouygh ;)
>
> The only way I can see doing this--and supporting our naming structure is
> to drop "org.apache" from the package name.  I don't know how that would
> fly with the other apache projects here.  With that change, our new imports
> would be:
>
> import avalon.excalibur.naming;

Thats the only solution I can see and I am sure we would be flamed to death
if we did it ;)

> The excalibur.pool package _is_ object pooling.  The excalibur.component
> package extends it and creates the component pooling.  Now, if you have an
> improved pooling algorithm that is thread safe--I would be very happy to
> see it.  But it should be in the excalibur.pool package.

The problem is none of the objects I need to pool can implement Poolable
interface. Thus the package is not useful in this context ;/

> As for your improved/simplified CLI services, I am all for ease of use.  I
> wouldn't use excalibur.xcli if it doesn't provide more services.  The word
> "extended" implies the ability to do _more_ than what is already available.
>  Perhaps "ecli" for Easy CLI or "scli" for Simplified CLI?

dunno - eithers good .. needs more work though and I am not sure it is worth
the effort at this stage ... so much else todo.

Cheers,

Pete