avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Uli Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: New Avalon Docs
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 19:57:19 GMT
On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Berin Loritsch wrote:

> What needs to be done is a Phoenix specific implementation for Cocoon's
> Environment interfaces--and publish the Service interface and write
> a descriptor.
>
> The hardest part is the Environment integration.

I'm still in the process of getting used to identifying the various
components of Avalon seperately. For me Phoenix always was an integral
part of Avalon and I can't see how to use Avalon without it - but Cocoon2
proves that Phoenix is just one server implementation using the Avalon
framework. I'll get this straightened out in my head someday :)

Perhaps it would be useful to take Cocoon apart into several blocks, so
that various people could select the parts they want and build their own
XML server. Once I learn more about Avalon, I'll be able to tell if it
would make sense to get my hands on that.

Our in-house applications that I'm working on take this approach. We have
blocks like a JDBCManager, a JMXManager, a JNDIManager and so on. Then one
app may be split into a "Writer" block, a "Reader" block, a "Controller"
block etc. - it looks like fun to decompose applications like that and
then re-use the blocks in other apps. How it plays out in the long run
will be interesting to observe. In all my career of software development
I've never managed to attain a sensible level of re-use, because usually
when the apps worked, they were either rarely touched anymore or
completely replaced one day. So to me ease of development (time to market)
and ease of debugging (responsiveness to the market) was always more
important than abstraction and re-usability. But I'm willing to try again,
Avalon looks sufficiently sophisticated to give it a shot :)

Thanks for the info,

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring