avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [logkit] Deprecate ContextStack???
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:42:00 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to deprecate ContextStack. As I have said before I regret ever
> putting it in there because it encourage extremely bad practices ;) Now that
> we have ContextMap object (which is more secure/safe) most of the use cases
> of ContextStack have been removed.
>
> While we probably can't ever remove ContextStack because it would cause too
> many incompatible changes we can at least deprecate it so that users will be
> discouraged from using it. Thoughts?
>
> BTW I just updated whitepaper to describes uses of ContextMap which may be
> useful to reference (and tell me about all my spelling/gramatical mistakes
> ;]).

How many more changes do you forsee in the near future?

I propose that once LogKit is stable again, we release it as 1.0 final (with
ContextStack deprecated).

Next, I suggest we each describe what we like and dislike about the LogKit,
with a focus on moving toward 2.0.  This redesign will allow us to remove
all the cruft.

Another alternative is to have a "compatibility layer" in an additional jar
so that the deprecated way of doing things can still be supported, but the
main distribution is uncluttered.

I do not advise moving forward in either of those directions without a Final
Release first.  That would be bad.