avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Ulrich Mayring <u...@denic.de>
Subject Re: [phoenix] Configuration
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2001 08:32:27 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> * Consolidate the two config files as usually used by person with same role.
> (ie Admins+Deployers both use them). This matches other pattern (ie
> assemblers use assembly.xml, developers use *.xinfo and MANIFEST.MF etc)

Well, my experience is that these roles are nice in theory, but in
practice it's always one and the same guy filling them. I can't go to
our sysadmins and say: "Look, here's Avalon, please install and
configure for me. Here's my block, please deploy it." There's got to be
someone, who knows an Avalon installation inside-out, from top to
bottom, and that will be the developer. If our Tomcat goes down, it's
me, the developer, who knows most about it, not the sysadmins. They can
stop and start it, but they don't know about the difference between
ajp12 and ajp13 or what servlet contexts are - that's all up to the
developer. The situation may be different at other places and if that is
indeed so, I want to work there :-)

Imagine that: just programming, never installing and configuring, never
doing load tests on live systems... life could be great :)

> * When we end up having "template" config files (ie files that start as
> templates but deployers fill them in during deployment) there would need to
> be only one template file. (Currently we require 2).

That sounds like a compelling reason to change it when that development
commences.

Ulrich

--
Ulrich Mayring