avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Jeff Turner <j...@socialchange.net.au>
Subject Re: Discussion: Post Release Issues
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:20:29 GMT
On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 10:23:52AM -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> I would like to take the time to discuss the post release issues
> we have in CVS since we are post Final Release for Framework.  LogKit
> has one more iteration, and Excalibur has two more at least.
>
> For everyone's convenience I pasted the contents of the file below.
>
>                Avalon 4.0 Post Release Issues
>                ------------------------------
..
> * How do components in Scratchpad be promoted to Excalibur?
>   In other words, what are the exit criteria?
>
> Berin: The exit criteria should be that the Components conform to the
>        Avalon idioms outlined in the "Programming with Avalon" document,
>        have a stable API, and pass a vote.  If the API is planned to
>        change before release then it is not up for vote.  If the new
>        packages contain Components, then they must conform to documented
>        standards or it will not be up for vote.  Once it passes those
>        criteria, we need to have a vote of at least threee +1 votes and
>        no -1 votes.

Perhaps a package.html doc could be a requirement, but that's covered
elsewhere.

> * Should we have a CVS check that reformats code on insert into repository.
>
> Berin: I would be +1, except that this will affect the performance of
>        checkins.  Worse, it could cause erroneous changes to be reported.
>        I think we should test this first.  My concern may only apply to
>        the first time something is checked in after being formatted.

I couldn't find anything that would format to this:

public void foo(String bar,
                String baz)
    throws Exception
{
	..
}

GNU indent does the args, but stuffs up the 'throws'. Vim indent does
the opposite. If someone knows of an indenter that can do this, I can
test integration with CVS here at work (we run an identical CVSROOT to
apache).

> * Should we move to docbook DTD
>
>   - I am +1.  The docbook documentation build process is done, and we have
>     an easy migration path.  DocBook affords a better semantic view of the
>     documentation plus more tools to create alternate formats. (BL)
>   - +1 (PD)
>
> Berin:  We have two +1, all we need is one more.  We should generate the
>         DocBook of all the existing pages and get rid of the stylebook
>         references.

+1 (ie yes, and will help do so).

--Jeff