avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Paul Hammant <paul_hamm...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Mutually dependant blocks / classload problem
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2001 19:10:16 GMT
Peter,

> In older versions of phoenix this used to be true. In newer versions the
> whole .sar is kept in one ClassLoader. The main reason for this change is
> that I wanted to match the .war approach as closely as possible because then
> skills in one should be transferable to another. The .war approach also has a
> lot more knowledge put into it that we can ... errr borrow ;)

:-)

> > Is there a way, given the interface/implementation nature of these non core
> > blocks, to specify two mutually dependant blocks, in such a way that there
> > will not be a classloading error?
>
> As long as they are in the same .sar they should be fine ... however it is
> probably best not to have them mutually dependent. The reason is that the
> work interface should never be exposed until after the block has
> initialized/started. In fact I thought I made it so that the DAG threw an
> exception if it found circular dependencies (though I may have taken that
> out).

Well your code probably still works.  It's not two <depends> elements (that would be
circular).
It is one <depends> then a good old fashioned "callback"
WindowManager.setDesktopKernel(DesktopKernel dk).  You can't test for that ;-)  But I have
feeling it may break in the future.  I was kinda looking for a kosher way.  I am doing doing
fair amout of refactoring at the moment and I was thinking there must be some third "broker"
they
could both be dependant on...... that's smelly too .... unless someone can say otherwise.

=====
Regards - Paul H
====
CVS -1, Perforce +1