avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What is the new "Cadastre" package in Excalibur?
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2001 13:56:17 GMT
On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 23:42, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> Peter,
>
> I noticed you added a new package called "cadastre" into Excalibur.
> Could you please give a quick summary about what it is for?

It is a JNDI framework for creating JNDI providers. So say you needed to
create a name provider for directory service FOO (where FOO isn't one of the
existing ones like LDAP, DNS or RMI directory). Youd could simply extend one
of the classes in the framework.

It also implements two naming providers (namely a MemoryContext and
RMIContext). MemoryContext would be useful if you need to create an in
process provider (ie if you were writing an EJB container or a JMS container
or virtually any J2EE style container). The RMIContext is for distributing
the directory remotely.

The one thing that the framework does not yet provide is federation (or
replication). The main reason being that I haven't needed it yet so ... ;)

> I also am curious as to what "cadastre" means--my mind for some twisted
> reason associates it with "cadavre" which isn't a good connotation.

I am not sure. When I originally created it I was told it meant something
like assesment/ledger (ie a book to asses and record details/lists of
things). It can also be spelt cadaster IIRC. I can't get through to
dictionary.com atm but I *think* that was the name.

Cheers,

Pete