avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] LogKit Configurator
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2001 17:04:41 GMT
On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 02:21, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> One complaint about LogKit, is it is not easy to configure
> dynamically.  The only way to do it is procedurally.

Thats was a specific design goal ;) (ie I see that as a good thing).

>I would
> like to propose a method of specifying log targets and mapping
> them to the categories from a configuration file.

sounds good.

> XML seems like the logical choice.  We do have a problem though:
> LogKit does not deal with XML directly.  The best way to do it
> would be to use Framework's configuration object.
>
> This causes a circular dependancy unless we do one of two things.
> One, we only place the configurator in Framework's logger package.
> This limits the usefulness of it, but makes it easy to write.  Two,
> we create a special LogKit SAXHandler that knows the schema, and
> builds the heirarchy for us.

I would love to see this as part of excalibur rather than logkit or
framework. The reason I want to keep it out of logkit is to keep logkit
framework agnostic.

No matter what configuration you use, it is part of the applications
framework. I have used propertys, SAX, Configuration, JDOM and
.ini files at different stages to configure the logging system and each had
vastly different requirements and different demands.

I suspect any mechanism you use will bind you to a particular way of doing
things and I am reluctent to do that. One of the reasons I liked the idea of
commons was that every component was supposed to be framework agnostic.

So +1 on the component .. as long as it is in excalibur. If we come up with a
brilliant design that every user of logkit is likely to use we can then
consider moving it back but until then ... ;)

BTW the way I have done this in the past is have two components. One
component "manages" the components in logkit (like logtargets, filters,
formatters etc), the other component is responsible for reading from config
source and using the manager component to store stuff. This way each config
component can be incredibly lightweight and simple. It is only the
"ComponentManager" component that is complex.

Cheers,

Pete