avalon-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject [logkit] Output target changes
Date Thu, 26 Jul 2001 06:37:32 GMT
Hi,

I just did a large update of output targets. This was aimed at reducing the 
complexity of using some of them. 

Many of them were not threadsafe if you tried to redirect them while an event 
was processing, ugly things could occur. The only solution used to be 
something as ugly as
* get an array of targets from logger
* replace element in array with new target
* Logger.setLogTargets( newTargets );

Now instead you can just cache a reference to original target and manipulate 
it as appropriate. (Mainly I did this so that log rotation etc would not be 
so convaluted).

Many of the old targets also could allow runtime exceptions to be propogated 
up to clients of logger. SO if you had a dodgy formatter that threw a NPE it 
could cause an error in logger client code which is unnaceptable for a 
logging toolkit. The new code protectects against this.

The new code also provides support for writing out strings at head/tail of 
logging session (an often requested feature).

A bunch of unsafe methods have also been deprecated along the way. The 
toolkit should be backwards compatible except it may give a few deprecated 
warnings. If I have broken anything then thats an error that you should tell 
me about ;)

Cheers,

Pete

*-----------------------------------------------------*
| "Faced with the choice between changing one's mind, |
| and proving that there is no need to do so - almost |
| everyone gets busy on the proof."                   |
|              - John Kenneth Galbraith               |
*-----------------------------------------------------*

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: avalon-dev-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: avalon-dev-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message