avalon-dev mailing list archives

From "Mircea Toma" <mirceat...@home.com>
Subject Re: MBeanComponentManager...again!....I got it!
Date Sun, 22 Jul 2001 23:22:38 GMT
Hi,

Ok, I think I got it! My goal was to have components created and configured
by a ComponentManager but in the same time I wanted to manage them at
runtime using a JMX adaptor. Since the ComponentManager has to keep
references to components the only way to manage a components at runtime was
to pass the component instance to the MBean server using
MBeanServer.registerMBean(Object, ObjectName). The only components that
would make sense to register with the MBeanServer are only the components
that have one instance within the application.
As a result I extended the ExcaliburComponentManager and overridden the
addComponent and addComponentInstance by adding the step of registering the
component with the MBeanServer if it implements the ThreadSafe interface
(same thing for ExcaliburComponentSelector).
... This is it. Right now I'm using this approach and it works wonderfully!

...thoughts are welcomed!

Cheers,

Mircea

P.S.: Leo, I think you where right to have doubts about a
MBeanComponentManager....what I'm doing in this approach can be done in
other parts of the code. It also proves that Avalon is general enough to
cover different patterns encountered in development.