avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: LogKit and Log4J Discussion
Date Wed, 20 Jun 2001 18:58:36 GMT
harmeet@kodemuse.com wrote:

> I think LogKit and Log4J are both great and external interface is pretty similar.
>
> How about Avalon providing a logger service that maps to LogKit and can also map to Log4J.
That way a user can configure whatever one likes.
> It may be good to have LogKit as a separate project and peer of Log4J. Let the non Avalon
users pick what they like. I personally find LogKit Simpler and easier to follow but Log4J
more powerful. There is a time and place for both and why choose one over other.

My whole point is that I want something like LogKit's Logger interface available
that both Log4J and LogKit can implement.  If necessary, we can even create a wrapper
for JSR Logging (which is botched).  That way Avalon Framework is agnostic of the
underlying Logging technology, and can be used in any setting.  Avalon Phoenix will
most likely remain LogKit central--and that is to be expected.  I want a Loggable
interface that is not tied to a specific Logging system.