avalon-dev mailing list archives

From Berin Loritsch <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Fwd: RE: Using the Apache Licence]
Date Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:39:28 GMT
Peter Donald wrote:

> Hi,
>
> At 09:18 AM 6/11/01 -0400, Berin Loritsch wrote:
> >I think we need to change our headers to be fully ASF license compliant.
> >We coppied what Cocoon did, and it turns out not to be the fully legal
> >way of doing the headers.
>
> It would be best to verify this information first. Including the full
> license or license "pointer" is equally enforcable under the law. From a
> legal POV there is virtually no difference, neither is more or less "legal"
> or "illegal".
>
> However using the short form could violate apache policy. I seem to recall
> Jon brought this up once on one of the general/committers/other lists once.
> I was about to change all the licenses on Avalon then. However Brian
> Behlendorf (sp?) replied and said that there was nada difference. I am not
> sure if an edict was created post that stage but it seems unlikely.
>
> I would prefer to keep current format (interferes less with my coding)
> unless we have to change. If you are really concerned I guess you could
> email one of foundation peeps or perhaps committers@apache.org or something
> similar.

Well it was a serious problem because the LICENSE file was missing from CVS!
I would like to make sure what Apache policy is.  I think it is better to
follow suit on stuff like this.  And I do agree with the statement that
legal stuff sucks ("What the large print giveth, the small print taketh
away").